An Eco-Friendly Resort
Nestled on the most romantic and secluded section of Aruba’s Eagle Beach, Bucuti & Tara Beach Resorts’ 14-acre stretch of white sand is consistently named one of the Caribbean’s top beaches. Our guests flock here to relax in luxury amidst the sheer natural beauty of the turquoise waters, pristine beach and warm, gentle breezes.
At Bucuti & Tara Beach Resorts, we’re just as passionate about nature and its beauty as you are. In fact, Bucuti is one of Aruba’s – and the Caribbean’s – greenest hotels and has been since it was built in 1987. We are proud to announce that on August 28th, 2018 the Bucuti & Tara Resort was certified the first CarbonNeutral® Hotel in the Caribbean. This is a tremendous achievement, seven years in the making since the goal was first set.
We’re eco-pioneers, and creating a sustainable, eco-friendly resort is woven throughout the fabric of our company culture. We’re proud to have initiated the first Green Globe 21 certification of hotels in Aruba in 2000, and we are the first resort in the Americas to be certified ISO 14001.
Owner Ewald Biemans is a visionary in sustainable tourism, and has been the most prolific steward of Aruba’s community for the environment. We go far beyond towel- and electricity-saving programs, and have made significant investments in eco-technologies and systems, as well as environmentally safe products. Bucuti Beach Resort has been called “a glowing example for all Caribbean hoteliers.” Among our many environmental initiatives are:
- Switching to greener, eco-friendly types of paper for its resort marketing materials, by which Bucuti & Tara Beach Resorts have been able to save 82 trees, as well as reduce waste water by 37,617 gallons, solid waste by 2,315 lb and greenhouse gases by 7,936 lb.
- Ensuring we have the lowest per-occupied-room electricity usage of all hotels in Aruba. (Source: Central Bank of Aruba study by Deloitte)
- Reducing our carbon footprint by sourcing local suppliers and products made on Aruba.
- Solar panels heating water for guest rooms and the laundry.
- Water reducers, which cut down water flow by 60% in all showers and faucets, and low-flow toilets.
- Sink and shower water treated and reused in the gardens.
- Bulk purchasing and use of in-room dispensers delivering genuine Aruba Aloe freshly made shampoos, conditioners and lotions instead of individual packages in plastic containers.
- Using bio-degradable and environmentally friendly detergents.
Environmental awareness has always been a major focus of Bucuti & Tara Beach Resorts, and long before phrases like “eco-tourism” and “eco-resorts” moved into the mainstream, Bucuti was winning awards such as the Caribbean Hotel Association Environmental Stewardship Award. Since then we’ve gone on to earn numerous environmental awards and certifications.
At the Bucuti Beach Resort we are dedicated to protecting and preserving our environment and are committed to raising awareness within our resort and the community to foster sound environmental practices.
Recent Environmental Awards & Achievements:
- Certified CarbonNeutral® Resort – First in the Caribbean
- Green Globe Platinum 21 certified
- ISO 14001 certified
- ISO 9001 certified
- Travelife Gold certified
- 2011: Green Globe High Achievement Award
- 2008: National Geographic Traveler Magazine “Stay List”
- 2007: ISLANDS Magazine Blue Award: Top 100 Global Sustainable Best Practices
- 2004: International Hotel & Restaurant Association Hotel of the Year for Innovation in Environmental Best Practice Award
- 2003: Caribbean Hotel Association Green Hotel of the Year
- 2002: Caribbean Hotel Association Award for Achievement in Environmental Hotel Management
- 1999: Green Globe Commendation Award for Outstanding Achievement for Environmental Effort
We are also a proud charter member of the Green Hotels Association.